Breed Street Shul
According to the LA Times Neighborhood Mapping Project, 52.4% of the Boyle Heights community is foreign born. This trend of being foreign born has largely defined the Boyle Heights community, earning it the slogan “All Roads Lead to Boyle Heights.” While this currently means it’s 94% Latino, in the early half of the 20th century, Boyle Heights largely provided a home for Russians and Jews. Canter’s, the famed West Hollywood Jewish deli, opened its doors in Boyle Heights in 1931. It may have even provided meals for members of, what was then, the largest Orthodox Synagogue on the West coast- Congregation Talmud Torah of Los Angeles. That congregation built the brick, Breed Street Shul in 1923, near the intersection Breed St. and Brooklyn Ave.(what we now call Cesar Chavez Ave.). Though Congregation Talmud Torah officially closed in 1996 and underwent serious vandalization, it’s being repaired by the Southern California Jewish Historical Society and will soon open its doors as a community center. To learn more about the project, check here: http://www.breedstreetshul.org/
Posted on November 14, 2011, in Boyle Heights and tagged Boyle Heights, Breed Street Shul, changing demographic in Los Angeles, Historic Cultural Monuments, Jews in Boyle Heights. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.