Canoga Avenue Pepper Trees
Though The Covered Wagon was the highest grossing film of 1923, the frontier was not a sight Angelenos wanted in their backyard (see Hancock Park). In an effort to alter perceptions of the ex-grassland we now called Woodland Hills, a 1920’s West Valley developer planted 120,000 trees. This Pepper Tree stand on Canoga Avenue, south of Ventura Boulevard, is leftover from that effort. For more about this development’s history, check here: http://www.americassuburb.com/girard_reservoir_in_the_news.html
Posted on February 17, 2012, in Trees of Los Angeles, Woodland Hills and tagged Canoga Avenue, Canoga Pepper Trees, Girard, Historic Cultural Monument 93, Historical Cultural Monuments, Pepper Tree, Woodland Hills, Woodland Hills Pepper Trees. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.